Tuesday 30 May 2017

Gig report Quillarious no3




Gig report Quillarious no3

Monday before the bank holiday was a surprisingly useful night for Quillarious.
Several things of note:
In spite of it being the first summery night of the summer, most of the acts showed and did their thing well on a night that was definitely ‘sit outside a pub’ weather.

Playing a small room is tough but not too many moments of self awareness where expectations of giggles didn't happen as planned and instead a riff in the space time continuum opens up to release invisible trans-dimensional aliens who zap everyone with an awkward ray. I encountered several of those whilst trying to jam some notes I’d written on the tube. That’s the last time I go on stage with a tube door.
Quillarious went surprisingly well. I played around with topping the comments in a productive way (hopefully) and steering things towards an expanded set up to a pre-discovered wordplay.
The result was in brief:

1004550b0d33295ca20577eeda0094ab.gif“My girlfriend Anna, I say girlfriend but it was our first date and to save time I was already working on how to dump her. It’s a millennial commitment thing. She wanted to meet at McDonalds but I said No, lets meet at Burger King because I’ve got a Whopper! She told me to burger off!”
 
Now I’m certainly not saying that’s the best joke in the world or even a passably good one. The point is that it was created by the group that Monday, the first successful setup/punch, and let’s face it, Neil Armstrong’s first steps we’re a bit girly and totally lacked ta-da!

I’m gaining confidence in the Quillarious process and experience at managing the group towards a creative conclusion. I’m also finding that I’m writing more myself.
I would reveal my new fairly weak pun about eyes but I’m waiting for something more cornea!

No comments:

Post a Comment